Skip Navigation

American moving to Sydney

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific American moving to Sydney

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by dlack (First Time Poster 1 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!


I am moving to Sydney in March 2005. I am an American and will be moving in with my girlfriend/fiance in her apartment in Coogee.

I have plenty of funds to sustain me there while I work around the Visa/job hunt situation.

However, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to the best route to take for moving there. I noticed there is a fiance/ or de facto marriage visa, but you need to be married within 9 months in the country, which we are not going to do, at least not in the first 9 months (thought about doing it for convenience, but easier to talk about than to do).

Essentially I would hate to arrive and be staying at home while my girlfriend works, and so am trying to be as proactive as possible with hopes of landing a job for some sort of income.

I was advised to arrive on a tourist visa, interview, and then obtain a working permit through the company as a sponser. Problem is with that, I will be competing with people that have working permits/or citizens of the country. Also, the office claims that it could take 1 to 3 months to process this request, which further hinders an employers interest in my work.

I am an experienced Securities Trader and am a Chartered Financial Analyst.

Ultimately if I cannot find work I will be forced to move back home to Boston, MA, away from the woman that I love and certainly trying to prevent that from happening.

Any advice or system loopholes, or experiences (pertaining to Americans moving to Australia, or vice-versa) would be amazingly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,


2. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Essentially I would hate to arrive and be staying at home while my girlfriend works

Yes, it would be a tough situation huh!

I don't know of any loopholes. What about a simple "registry" type of marriage, and then have the more propoer and formal one later? Better than having to go back home.

3. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Depending on your age, you could look into getting the US's version of the Working holiday visa for Australia. It's not the 12 month visa the rest of the world can get, but you can get a 4 month one which already allows you to work for 3 months. If you land a job in that 3 month period and things work out with your employer, it will be much easier for the employer to consider hiring you (and do all the paperwork required...). Bunac ( do the most visas out of the US and would be able to let you know if you could apply for this visa.

Other than that, it gets pretty tricky. There is an internship type visa, but that requires you being a student. Or you could decide to enrol as a student and go on a student visa. These allow you up to 20 hours of work per week.... that might also be a good way in depending on whether you are interested in studying more (I know I am not :) ).

Those are the two most straightforward ones I can think of that don't involve a lot of hassle....