Need passport to enter Canada from USA?

Travel Forums North America Need passport to enter Canada from USA?

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
11. Posted by Peter P. (Budding Member 35 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Here are some links for you that may provide more detailled information according to which form of transportation you choose:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

VIA Rail Canada / Travel, vacations and train tours



  • *a program that streamline customs and immigration clearance for low-risk, pre-screened travellers.
12. Posted by Berkules (Inactive 13 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I am going to Montreal in June for the Grand Prix of Canada so I have been interested in this same question. In 2008 Americans will need a passport but now, as many have stated, it is proof of citizenship along with a driver's license that is needed. It used to just be an ID.

Do any Quebecers have any advice on what to do in Montreal aside from the Grand night perhaps? I'll be staying in Saint Hubert, a small town in Longueuil, right?

Thank you

13. Posted by Bogman (Budding Member 61 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Chewin...not sure how you are living in the USA as a non citizen without your home country passport. Green card isn't ideal ID as it only has place of birth, not country of citizenship. I am a green card holder, born in UK but Canadian citizen and travel on Canadian passport. Officially UK people need a visa to get into the states, so my green card isn't good enough. Funny though, I would think that with all the info they have on Green Card holders it would suffice to get back into the US.

Berkules...I'm a former Montrealer and rabid F1 fan too! St. Hubert is an outer getting into the city may be tough but getting to the track should be easy as you are approaching from the south (non-busy) side. As for evenings, the Grand Prix parties generally take place on Peel St. or Crescent St. in downtown. Live bands, F1 merchants, bars, lots of beautiful women etc. These tow streets are in thhe generally Englsih part of town. rue St. Laurent north of Ste. Catherine is a bilingual party street, and rue St. Denis north of Rene Levesque Blvd is generally the francophone party street. If hard core partying isn't your style, then definately visit old Montreal (take the ferry from Longueuil) where there is a great Euro feel full of cafes, restaurants, people watching etc.

14. Posted by agc_cwm (Respected Member 45 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Recently there has been talk of Canada implementing border entry limitations, which would require Americans to present a passport upon entry to Canada. This is in response to the recent proposal that would have Canadians be required to show their passport upon entering the United States in an attempt to increase border security. I am not sure how this whole issue will work out, but I would definitely keep my ears open for updates about it if planning a trip to either country from the other.

  • 1
  • 2