Skip Navigation

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by garth55 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I have recently finished a year in Australia. And (by being greedy)
I tryed to claim too much tax back from the ATO myself. I have now received a tax bill saying I owe them $500. Has anyone been in this postion or know of anyone who has?

2. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I would have thought that if you claimed too much tax back you would have received a tax refund. Maybe they disputed some of your deductions, and you ended up with this bill.

I would go to see a tax accountant, and get some advice from them. But you don't want to pay a lot for the advice, so give someone like ITP a call.

Otherwise, you can dispute the claim and somehow try to justify the expenses that they knocked back.

3. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Whatever you do, I'd recommend resolving it as the ATO has been known to block people travelling to Australia if they have outstanding tax bills...

4. Posted by Wocca (Inactive 3745 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Don't use the word "evasion" with the ATO There are serious penalties for any form of conspiracy to defraud the Commonwealth. Under taxation and social security laws in Australia, you are guilty until proven innocent.

5. Posted by tresham (Full Member 67 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

seeing as we are talking taxes here...
we plan to move back to Aus in about 4 years. Have 401k etc.... and other savings..etc...etc.. My husband is thinking of becoming a US citizen, has heard that Australia will allow US/Aus dual citizenship. And that way he can recieve social security. The trouble we seem to be facing is the Aus govt want us to pay huge taxes on our savings and 401ks here when we receive them in Aus.... Know I haven't really made myself clear...but has anyone else lived/worked abroad and returned home to Australia and faced similar tax problems....

6. Posted by Peter (Admin 6433 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hey tresham,

I would have thought that if you have already payed tax on that money, you wouldn't need to again. It seems strange to me they would want to take more tax out of it. Best thing to do is talk to a tax lawyer and get them to figure out the best way to do things.