Skip Navigation

Santa Ana, El Salvador

Travel Forums Central/South America & The Caribbean Santa Ana, El Salvador

1. Posted by drea405 (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!


I was wondering if anyone had any (detailed) information about the immigration process. I have been living here since 2008 and the process is unbelievable! Any advice or tips about navigating it would be greatly appreciated!

I really love this country (yes, some ask why!!) and would like to live here for a while, permanently i hope. But then again, nothing is forever!

I'm was born in the US to German and Italian parents, and I have heard that that the process if quite different, depending on what country you originate from. True??

I have been asking for extensions since I started this, but I'm not sure how many more they will give me. And I now I CAN'T go in and out of the country every 3 months because my passport stamp expired AGAIN!

Thank you for ANY advice you may have for me.

2. Posted by dbloom (Travel Guru 586 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Andrea are you on the Ex Pat group as well?
You need to have an income from your country in order to get your temporary residency and stay in the country. I am a resident in Central America and have a pension from my country, does not matter where your parents are from, except if you have El Salvadoran parent you can obtain Salvadoran citizenship.
Most information you getr from friends and lawyers will be erroneous.
I suggest if you have a College Degree, return home and become certified as a teacher in any subject then get hired at one of the International Schools in Central or South America, often with rt ticket and free housing on 1 year contract if hired abroad. Be careful, just bus over to Guatemala, go to Tapachula Mexico for 2 days on Tica Bus return as a tourist, 90 days CA 4, keep doing that, otherwise they may deport you if you cannot show income from home. saludos.
PS Since they pay benefits and taxes Call Centers cannot hire foreigners without temporary residency or work permit, /The International Schools, if you are hired abroad will get you a work permit 1 year, get teacher certified, in your home country any accrdited university. Teach ESOL students immigrants at home to get experience and looks good on your resume. I did in the 1980s and did well down here then.

3. Posted by drea405 (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Yes, it's me........I'm on several websites, but there doesn't seem to be much activity on ANY of them for El Salvador...hmmmmm.....

First I want to apologize to you for taking so long to answer.
I've been without internet for almost 2 weeks and I'm just catching up on my e-mails.
I also want to thank you for all your information. As always, you seem to know so much about this region because you have been here for So long.
I'm still working on my residency..................hmmmmm..........soon i hope....

I promise a better reply soon......
Thanks again for everything,