Skip Navigation

Liability Insurance for tourists visiting USA, driving a car

Travel Forums North America Liability Insurance for tourists visiting USA, driving a car

1. Posted by Chak56 (Budding Member 10 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Dear Travelers & members from USA,

I am a 54 year male wanting to drive thru USA, Road blocks I face are
1) Insurance- I will have a travel Insurance from my country, to cover medical & loss of baggage & Trip delays
2)I will be using my cousins car for 6 months in USA.
Posts in most forums discourage this, except for a few surfrun from travelers point & vegasmike6.

I was to send them mails directly but the website kept sending me back to email confirmation page
so here I am requesting members/insurance agents to help me get a liability insurance,

while I am using my cousins car, I had communicated with an insurance agent from NJ
who stated that, any one with a valid driving license from any country can drive the car & insurance will cover it.

BUt, I gather then why should the insurance cost be different for diff age groups.

What documents do I need to carry to get myself added on to my cousins car insurance
as an additional driver & how much would cost.

I have leased/hired cars in Europe, Australia, NZ as well as UK & Egypt. Each trip more than 2 months
No mishaps so far except for parking in France & speeding in NZ that too I was doin 112
while overtaking a car in front......... but thats the way it is....

In USA the insurance on car hire is to steep to rent one for 6 months.


2. Posted by heyyo01 (Budding Member 19 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Sounds like a fun trip . Might see if you can get a notarized document frm cousin stating that you'll have the car , just in case . Maybe cousin could add liability in his name , then add u as drvr - and you pay the premium . I 'm not sure how a person can obtain insurance on a vehicle in the US w/o having the car registered in their name . Is that a possibility ? If so obtaining insurance is generally cheap . The NJ agent is correct - generally ' if the CAR is covered by a policy already , then you are fine , happy trails . Different prices for a policy reflect the Driver - age , experience , etc. and the Car - 4 wheel drive , miles driven per year , and so on . So , again , if the car is covered by an insurance policy for liability and you have the trip insurance - driving in the US isn't like the movies . HAPPY TRAILS !

3. Posted by heyyo01 (Budding Member 19 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

adding you as a driver only requires a valid driver's license , that's it . the cost is negligible , unless your driving history is bad . that doesn't look like the case . Maybe I should be more clear , if you happen to be encountered by law enforcement while in the car . You will required to show a valid license and proof that the car has insurance . You and the vehicle are 2 seperate entities . The cars' id will be run to assure it isn't stolen , license plate revoked , no insurance . And your id will be run for warrants . Our Police like to see your hands , turning off the engine is good . Do not leave the vehicle unless instructed . The officer may approach the car with their hand on or near their weapon - don't be alarmed - just say "howdy. " Let me know if your plans include Colorado .

4. Posted by Chak56 (Budding Member 10 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Thanks Mate, that certainly boosts my confidence,
wonder if it is the members of renting companies who mostly answer the threads
on buying a car to use in the US.

In my case I hold a Indian driving License, the records certainly are not available
with the insurance cos in US.

Will certainly be visiting Colorado, it will be nice to look U up.
Can I request you to check with your insurance agent, how much
it would cost to add some one as a driver/month.

&7 what documents do I need to carry other than my DL & IDP

My records...driving for the past 30yers, age 54, Indian.

Hope I am not bothering U too much.


5. Posted by heyyo01 (Budding Member 19 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Your DL and ID are all you need to travel freely . The vehicle must show proof of registration and insurance , these papers must always remain in the car .

I will try to get a price for you on the added drvr .

To be in a car , on the open Road . One of the joys of America . Road Trip ! May I suggest getting to the Western US asap - back East is fine but NY doesn't have Valley of the Gods (UT) , Yellowstone ( a boliing river , geysers , roaming wildlife ) , the CA , OR , WA coastline , the solitude of the Badlands , etc. . Yosemite ! Death Valley - you may have noticed I'm a nature guy - oh yeah _ Great Sand Dunes ! Happy Planning