Skip Navigation

Crossing CAN/US land border (EU citizen)

Travel Forums North America Crossing CAN/US land border (EU citizen)

1. Posted by flapane (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I'm from Italy and I've already used the ESTA module when I landed in Boston,MA last year.

This summer I'll land in Chicago,IL, then (the next day) I'll enter in Canada from Niagara Falls/NY and I'll eventually return in the US (after 4 more days) at the Windsor/ON-Detroit/MI border using the Detroit–Windsor Tunnel.

Please could you tell me if I'll be fine with my ESTA module (the very same I'll show at the Chicago airport CBP officer) or if I need to fill the I-94W module (where do I find it, just in case?) too? I don't understand if my passport is enough for crossing the CAN-US border.
I've deeply looked into CBP, Canadian border agency and other various websites, but I've only found informations regarding US citizen->CAN border and vice-versa, nothing dealing with EU citizens.

[ Edit: Edited on 10-Mar-2011, at 09:07 by flapane ]

2. Posted by LaurenLolz (Respected Member 226 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Well good news. "ESTA application data remains active for the period that ESTA is valid, which is generally two years or until the traveler’s passport expires, whichever comes first." From CBP Website. So I don't think you would have to get a new ESTA if your travel dates fall within this 2 year period and your passport doesn't expire. So I don't think there will be any issue when you come into the US via air.

You shouldn't need a new ESTA to enter or depart via land either, however, "The I-94W form will still be required at the land border." So you will have to fill that out, and they have plenty on hand. So if you walk or drive, just tell them you need one to fill out. That shouldn't be a problem.

I am not familiar with Canada's Laws .. but I found this as well. "In general, if you have been admitted to the United States under most visa classifications if you take a short trip (30 days or less) to Canada or Mexico, you may retain your I-94/I-94W, so that when you resume your visit to the United States you are readmitted for the balance of the time remaining on your I-94/I-94W."

Hope that helps.

3. Posted by flapane (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

yes, luckily I just need to update my ESTA with the Flight number and the address for the first night spent in the US (I've heard that new ESTA modules aren't free and cost some 20$).
Glad to hear that they have the I-94W modules at any border, I really didn't know where to find them and the last time I only compiled the other CBP white module for declaring and importing goods.
I may fill the I-94W directly at Chicago airport and use it at the Niagara Falls border (if I want to cross the border multiple times in a day to see both sides of the falls or for whatever reason) and at the Windsor/Detroit border.
Too bad the Naples US embassy didn't answer my email in a month...

Thanks a lot for your help.

[ Edit: Edited on 10-Mar-2011, at 10:02 by flapane ]