Skip Navigation

Overstaying visa and getting married in argentina?

Travel Forums Central/South America & The Caribbean Overstaying visa and getting married in argentina?

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Argentina
1. Posted by MarioGirl64 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

I want to go to argentina to get married to an argentinian (I live in the UK and am a british citizen), but I want to stay there for maybe 2 years before getting married as it would make things alot easier. I know I can stay there for 90 days without getting a visa and then I have to either leave or get it renewed at immigration. Is it possible for me to stay in the country for 2 years by renewing the 90 days, then going back to england and then returning to re set the 90 days again, and keep doing that for 2 years? Or, could I overstay those 90 days by 2 years (and be an illegal), return to england (because I heard all you get is a fine and nothing more), then come back again so I am legally staying there once more, and then get married? Are there any risks to this, because from what I heard on forums like these and general research from the internet is, it doesnt matter if you overstay the required time because all you get is a fine, whether its days or years, apparently. Obviously I want to know if thats true, as I dont want to do something risky and would much prefer staying legal.

I would love to hear your experiences with overstaying or renewing and I also would like to know if leaving the country and returning to england lets you come back to argentina for another 90 days and another renewal at immigration straight away.

Thank you and any info is a great help, I know its a rather complicated question lol.

2. Posted by juanka (Inactive 48 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!


You don't need to go back to England to renew your 3 months visa. Just go to Uruguay in a nice one day tour.

The maximum you can do this is 3 times. After this your are illegally in the country.
But don't worry, nobody cares, and the only problem should be that when you want to leave the country you must pay a bill of 50 US dollars.

Also, you can take some course and with the inscription paper you can get a student visa for 1 year, you can renew for another year.

After 1 year you can ask for the temporary residence.

Hi. I'm a local and I run a guesthouse for foreigners in BA, so for me this is a well known theme.

saludos / regards
Juan Carlos
a travelhelper in BA

[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]

3. Posted by Peter (Admin 6278 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Do they not have any visas that could be appropriate for you? I'd be very hesitant about overstaying, regardless of internet wisdom. Who knows what could change in two years? Particularly if you have a long term view for this relationship I'd be keeping it al above board.

Of course, maybe that's just my western view of things ;)