Skip Navigation

(VISA Q) 1 year in Europe the best way (Aus passport)

Travel Forums Europe (VISA Q) 1 year in Europe the best way (Aus passport)

1. Posted by Zefix (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Hi there all!

Hope you guys can help me with a few questions.. Iam an Austrian citizen, my fiance is Australian. I currently work in Austria full-time, my fiance is planning to join me this August or September. She wants to stay at least a year possibly more. Now I have read up a few stuff, however this whole thing is too complicated without any input by others so here I am asking for your experience and advice.

So I the Austrian system is quite complicated and probably not the preferred method of application. It requires application of the a residence permit to be applied in another country, which might be a tad too late now, and preferably not my method of application. It also seems to be quite limiting and complicated. Since however Austria is part of the Schengen Agreement and of the EU, I was wondering:

1) What if my fiance applies for a residence permit/or a 1 year visa for another country? Say she applies for a french 1 year permit, since France is part of the EU couldnt she enter France and live with me for 1 year and leave via France? If something like that is possible which country in the Schengen Agreement has the easiest 1 year visa? Austria certainly doesnt.

2) Germany and Australia have a 1 year work holiday visa agreement. I take it it means only work for Germany, however its also a 1 year visa. Can she come over to Austria for it? Can she work in Austria with it (unlikely but one can hope yes?)

3) If she enters Austria and we marry, does anyone know whether that alone will be sufficient to let her stay in Austria longer through some kind of permit? Because I couldnt find much information about that. Anyone got experience? Or maybe in any other country so long its German/English speaking (wouldnt be able to fill/read the all the documents if its otherwise).

2. Posted by Zefix (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Oh and cheers for any help you could provide in advance.

3. Posted by Zefix (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

No help or advise on any front? :(

4. Posted by amsel07 (Budding Member 55 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

A long term visa for any other country will only mean that your fiancée can stay in this country for more than the 90 days. She will still be bound by the Schengen rules when she is in Austria with you.
So a work and holiday visa for Germany for ex. won't legalize her stay in Austria.
But since there is usually no border control between the two countries, in reality she could stay with you in Austria. She would have to enter Schengen in Germany and best also leave from there, once the year is up. It's not completely legal, but doable.

However, if you plan to get married and want to apply for a long-term residence permit in Austria, I would not risk it. Having broken visa rules before won't look good when applying for another visa.

Can't she apply for a student's visa for Austria?