Skip Navigation

Working in the US

Travel Forums North America Working in the US

1. Posted by PY (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Hi, there

I am from Singapore, i am planning to work in the State, and i have already got a job before arriving there. My company will take care of the work pass, however i need to settle housing and car on my own. Do anyone know how can a foreginer get a car in the US?


[ Edit: Edited on 08-Jun-2011, at 22:46 by PY ]

2. Posted by mhg0213 (Budding Member 16 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Well, you have a couple options. You can either have a vehicle shipped to the states or buy one when you get here. I'm not sure how non-citizenship works on purchasing vehicles, so I would suggest a private owner.

Whatever state you are moving too I would look into their state laws. It will give you a better feel for what to expect and the overall process.

If you do go with a private owner just purchase a newspaper or look on Craigslist. Both will have plenty of options available. Oh, and a lot of those "Buy Here Pay Here" places could be useful as well. Unfortunately they turn out to be a little more expensive in most cases.

3. Posted by Daawgon (Travel Guru 2012 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

You must first have a driver's license of some kind (if your Singaporean license is in English that will be fine), and you must arrange for insurance coverage and local state registration of the car immediately after purchase. Every state will have different laws and different fees. For a first time buyer in the States, I strongly urge you to purchase (new or used) from a reputable dealer - that dealer can walk you through the local procedures. Your insurance costs will depend on many factors that you should consider before purchase. Where you live and how you garage your car is one factor, your age and driving history is another. All states require that you have basic liability coverage, and if you finance your car, you will also need collision insurance to protect the lien holder. If I were you, I would wait at least a few weeks until you're settled here, before buying anything of high value. Once you are settled, you will be required to get a local state driver's license to be legal.

If you will live in one of these cities (Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, or Washington DC) and only will use the car occasionally, you can also consider Car Sharing instead of ownership. This type of Car Sharing can often be cheaper than owning a car, since the fees include basic insurance coverage and fuel, and it includes fuel-saving hybrid vehicles.

[ Edit: Edited on 10-Jun-2011, at 11:38 by Daawgon ]

4. Posted by mhg0213 (Budding Member 16 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

lol, yes. A driver's license would be important :)