Skip Navigation

1. Posted by MegsMoss (Budding Member 5 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Hello fellow travellers,

I need a helping hand!I have decided to finally bite the bullet and book my stuff to come over to OZ, I have been thinking about it for a while now and i have now got the money to do it!

I just dont know what to do! My friend Ian advised me i need to get my visa first of all then book my ticket :)

I am a bit nervous as i am coming over alone and is it easy to make friends/ be independant :)!

Im a 21 year old girl but my bubbly personality will help me through fingers crossed :)!

Will be grateful for any responses :)

Megs ;)

2. Posted by Luke23Dublin (Budding Member 53 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Hay Megs
I'm 23 traveling alone for the 1st time in Feb. Heading to Thailand for 8 nights then flying into Sydney not making many plans just going to go with flow hopefully Ill meet a few people along the way. Yeah I applied for my Visa 1st, got a 12 month working visa & I only booked my tickets today cant wait to go now.

Talk to ye again

Luke :)

3. Posted by MegsMoss (Budding Member 5 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Wow that's sounds great :) I was so nervous about doing it and I've been putting it off but I've got nothing to lose and it seems like everyone that does it has a blast :)!!! I'm going to sta travel on Saturday to get everything sorted and booked!! How does the visa work?! I have friends in aus so if I can't handle things myself il go see them lol but it's all about being independent :)! Speak soon <3

4. Posted by Crane (Budding Member 22 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

I don't know anyone who has done the trip Down Under and not had the time of their life.

In terms of visa/ticket booking, you can do it either way. If you want to work then you will need to apply for a working visa before you go which costs about £240 and lets you stay with an employer up to 6 months, and in the country for a year (with possibilities of finding an employer to sponsor you to stay longer). If you are not going to work then a tourist visa for 3 months is free, again you need this before you go.

As for meeting people then there are loads of people in exactly the same boat in every hostel in the country, some travelling in groups or with a partner but plenty on their own so meeting new friends is a doddle, particularly if you have a bubbly personality!

5. Posted by Luke23Dublin (Budding Member 53 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Yeah I went with Visa First on the internet a friend of mine used it this year & was only €240 I think, I got mine back in April & its 12 months but if you do 3months agriculture work in the outback you get a 2nd year.
I applied for it & got it 2 days later was real handy.

Post 6 was removed by a moderator