Skip Navigation

unaccompanied minors

Travel Forums Europe unaccompanied minors

1. Posted by CRV9 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

hi everyone! my friends and I are planning a trip to Hamburg, Germany. we are from El Salvador, Central America, we would like to know what legal documentation is needed with our characteristics: we are all 16-17 years old, our flight route is: El Salvador to Miami, then to London and finally Hamburg. what legal documents do we need in each of these countries?
thanks for your time and help.
Carlos R.

2. Posted by Cyberia (Travel Guru 1851 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

If you are not entering America but merely in transit, a passport should be enough.

If you enter America you will need a visa.

Some countries like the UK are a little nervous of "minors" travelling on their own so would prefer that you have a return ticket.

3. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

1.) Cyberia, there is no such thing as simply transiting through the US. Even if you never leave the airport you still have to legally enter the US and go through all the usual Immigration and Customs hassles. It's ridiculous.

In a nutshell: Anyone travelling through the US en-route to another country requires a valid transit visa. Exceptions are travellers eligible to transit the US under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or travellers who are citizens of a country which has an agreement with the US allowing their citizens to travel to the U.S. without visas. There are a few countries that fall under the Visa Waiver Program, but El Salvador is certainly not one of them.

2.) Carlos, I would assume that you'll require a C-1 Visa for Miami. Check it out here:

I would also suggest you research directly with all the appropriate foreign embassy websites in order to accurately determine your legal status.

Good luck and have fun.