Skip Navigation

Open ended tickets and visa questions

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Open ended tickets and visa questions

1. Posted by sikkinouza (Budding Member 14 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Hey all!

So I've been offered a job in Australia as a nanny for a year, starting in January 2013. I'm really excited to go, but I'm concerned about the price of a flight. I'll be flying from Boston.

Do I need to buy a round trip ticket to be allowed into Australia? If I do, does anyone have information about how to book an open ended ticket? I plan on being in Australia until about December 2013. Or would I be better off just getting a round trip ticket and then changing the date of my return ticket?

What kind of visa do I need to get? It seems like I'll need a working holiday visa, but for that you need to have proof that you have at least 5,000 AUD in your bank account, which I just do not have. I'm just a bit confused about the whole situation!

If anyone has any advice or answers I would really appreciate it!

2. Posted by mikemk (Budding Member 14 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

From what I've heard you can't work for the same employer/company for more than 6 months on a WHV bud. But don't take my word for it just something you should check out :)

[ Edit: Edited on 02-Apr-2012, at 13:15 by mikemk ]

3. Posted by frantabulous (Budding Member 7 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Check this page out:

It basically works out for you what kind of visa you need. If you have been offered a job that should go in your favour but I imagine you will probably have to prove that you have the funds to show that you can purchase a ticket for a return flight if you don't have a return ticket. If you're still unsure just give the visa bureau a call and I'm sure they'll be able to advise you.