Skip Navigation

Steps to go to college/move to Europe from the US. Help???

Travel Forums Europe Steps to go to college/move to Europe from the US. Help???

1. Posted by raymondt (Budding Member 2 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Hello everyone,

In three months from now, I'm going to be a Senior in highschool. The problem is, I have to apply to colleges (mainly universities) by the end of this year (so six months). I will be 17 years old in 3 months and I'm in desperate need to figure out how to go to college and live in Europe.

I'm not sure if I want to go to college here and major in business or go to college in Europe for foreign language. I'm leaning more towards Europe and if I like it, then I would probably like to move there.

I'm so lost on the whole process however. I have several questions:

-If I apply to a college in Europe I need a student visa, so does that allow me to work?

-How do I find a job in Europe in order to get a work visa (since you have to have one before you move) if I only speak English??? Any websites or recommendations????

-Let's say I move to Europe to attend college, then from there I find work or? If I want to stay after the college year ends then what do I do?

Like I said, I will be graduating in a year from now and right now is the time when I really have to consider all options for my future and I'm just really confused on all of the visas and especially how to get a job to get a work visa so I could remain living there if I wish to do so.


I've been taking Spanish classes for the past for the past 5 years but I would like to go to Italy most likely. Would it be easier to go to college in Britain and then move because of the commonwealth and the whole speaking English thing?

Oh, and, how easy is it to actually go to college in Europe if I currently live here (in Michigan)? Do I just apply online like I would do for a college here??? Thank you for any information!!!


2. Posted by amsel07 (Budding Member 55 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Europe is a continent consisting of more than 40 countries and they all have different education systems.
So the first question you have to answer to yourself is:
where do you want to study?
You say, you have had five years of Spanish, so Spain would be easier for you than Italy. Going to college in the UK or Ireland would be the easiest, at least language-wise. But the tuition is very high, especially in the UK.
Germany has a very low tuition, but you don't speak German.

The next question is
How are you going to pay for college?
The conditions of a student visa differ from country to country, in Germany you'd be allowed to work-part time, but you'd still have to show enough funds in a locked account to be granted the visa. I don't know how it is in Italy or any other country.

You can forget about getting a work permit - at least in any country which is a member of the EU any employer has to prove that there is no other EU citizen who can do this particular job. You can imagine that's impossible if the job can be done by an American teenager without any training.

So first decide on a country, or one or two.
Then check their consulates'/embassies' webpages for details about the student visa.
Check the universities' webpages about foreign students' organisations.
Contact the universities about your credits and diploma, are they going to be accepted or do you have to do any other entrance exam.

Lots of work,but it can be done.

You can also start your education in a US college which does a regular exchange with a European college or university. Then do an exchange in your junior year, learn the language and come back to do your masters in Europe.

Good luck.

3. Posted by anamarija (Budding Member 43 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Amsel07 has said it all. I'd like to add a few thoughts.

I think, language-wise, it would be best to look for study programmes in English-speaking countries. The prices are high, yes, but the rules of admission vary from country to country, and from university to university.
Some universities have international study programmes; even in non-English speaking countries, a university might have courses or entire degree programmes taught in English.
I say might - you have to check for each institution separately.

Like Amsel07 has said, first get informed about the student visa requirements.

Also, there might be a possibility to get a grant / financial help (full or partial) based on your academic success - that's something that you'll have to look into directly at the university of your choice; I think that in order to apply for a grant you (usually) have to be already enrolled into the university.

I suggest that, once you narrow down your choices to several universities, you contact them directly - there's usually a person who deals with inquiries like that and can consult you in detail, just find the contact information on their website.

Wishing you success!

4. Posted by moshimoshineko (Budding Member 5 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Although English-speaking countries are a great option to study languages in Europe, because we have loads of languages all around, that shouldn't put you off applying for universities across Europe as most of them offer courses in English.

I was living in London and the fees for university were really high, so I searched around and found out I could get a degree virtually for free in Denmark and even get paid for it. Obviously, it's much easier for me being from a country in the EU, but I have an American friend who spent a year here in Copenhagen for high school and is thinking of applying for university here, because everyone speaks English and it's actually not that difficult to get student visas sorted.

5. Posted by raymondt (Budding Member 2 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Thank you for your advice!!

I also posted something on the city data forum website and someone said that I would have to go to at least one year at a college as Europe has a thirteen year school system, and then I could apply at a European university?

Basically I want to graduate school here in the US next year and then go to college in Europe. So I know that first I'd have to figure out about getting a student visa and once I do that then I have to apply at a European university as an international student, is this correct?

I don't really have a specific country in mind yet, I'm just still trying to figure everything out. How would I apply for loans etc for college?

One of my other concerns is finding a job to support myself while living there, I saw on my other post that I would be able to work part time on my student visa?

I know I have many questions but I know that I have to figure all of this out within the matter of a year from now. I just feel as that I have a general idea of how to go about it I'm just learning about the specifics to tie it all together!

If I go to college here I have to apply to universities by this December, and I'm being told about that 13th year so I'm not sure exactly.

Thank you again!! 

6. Posted by moshimoshineko (Budding Member 5 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

I've never heard of the 13th year. The only country that does it like that is the UK, as far as I know and even then it works out to about the same amount of time in education. When you graduate high school, your diploma is proof that you have been through the school system and are ready to go to university, so I don't think you'll have to worry about the 13th year.

That said, I'm no expert, so it's better you confirm by getting in touch with an European university, I'm pretty sure they'll be more than happy to inform you.

You should see what are the requirements for a student visas as it may vary from country to country and you would be considered an international student.

As for paying college, you'll have to talk to the specific university that you choose as it depends from university to university. Most should have some sort of schorlarships and/or grants. However, I am not aware of any international student loan scheme. Maybe you should research that part.

On your student visa, you will be restricted on the amount of hours you'll be able to work, as someone has written here. However, if you do odd jobs like babysitting, you might be able to make some money on the side. It's quite viable.

I think your best bet is to start thinking of what countries you'd like to go to university at and begin calling them and asking them specifics - all universities have an international student liaison who should be able to answer all your questions.

7. Posted by anamarija (Budding Member 43 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

As far as I know, your US high school diploma will be a valid proof that you've graduated and are eglible to enter a university - in any country.

Like I, and others in this thread, have already mentioned, you'll get the best (and most correct) information from the university itself once you contact them directly.

Post 8 was removed by a moderator