Skip Navigation

getting a UK Bank Account HSBC

Travel Forums Europe getting a UK Bank Account HSBC

Last Post This thread is marked as being about England
1. Posted by danamaree (Budding Member 18 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I'm getting a bank account in the UK, so I shall be getting a HSBC account in Australia before I go.

Anyone have any advice about this before I go? Are there any other banks which offer better rates, pitfalls etc, etc.

2. Posted by floridaade (Full Member 24 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

You're pretty much OK with HSBC in the UK as its one of the big banks there, the other ones you'll find everywhere on UK high streets are Lloyds (who also own TSB), Barclays and NatWest. All the major banks in the UK are part of the Link network, the logo which you'll see on the majority of cash machines in the UK. There shouldn't be a charge for using this.

Also if you have a cash card from HSBC you'll have the Cirrus and Maestro logos on it too, which you can use at more places too (I've used my UK bank card across Spain and the USA without problems,using the Cirrus/Maestro connection-though there is a charge for this one)

Good luck


3. Posted by andrwcris (Full Member 34 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!


I am not sure if you will have any problems with opening an account with some banks from outside the UK. Also not sure exactly what you are looking for with rates etc. but a couple of sites which will be very useful to you are: - this is a non profit making site and is fantastic for free financial advice as well as a whole load of other stuff - well worth a read for everyone. - this site is basically a huge comparison site with all the info for banks, credit cards etc.

Hope this helps


4. Posted by daveh (Travel Guru 1027 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

It might be worth looking into whether HSBC in the UK will see that as an overseas account if your Australian account is where all your money is going. If that's the case you might be leaving yourself open to unnecessary bank charges. If you're coming over here to work then you will probably need a uk based account for employers to pay your money into.

I'm a little confused by your question to be honest but i would look into these things.

5. Posted by danamaree (Budding Member 18 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

>>I'm a little confused by your question to be honest but i would >>look into these things

They have HSBC in Australia, it's a British based bank, I'll go and speak to them next week about this, but I thought maybe someone here would know if there is anywhere else, or can give me some prior advice.

Perhaps they can give me an account that's for the UK. Thanks anyway.

6. Posted by Porcelina (Full Member 18 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi danamaree. I was in the same boat that you were a few months ago. Australian and wanting to get a UK bank account to use whilst on a WHV.

What I did was go to Travelex. They can set up the whole thing for you before you leave the country. All you have to do is:

  • fill out a form

  • have two forms of ID (passport and driver's license)

  • write a cheque with minimum 1500 pounds

  • pay Travelex $150AU

Then wait for a letter in the mail saying that an account has been set up for you. Should take about 5-6 weeks.

Once you get to the UK, go to the HSBC branch that your account was opened in (for me it was the Regent St branch in London). They have a whole floor dedicated to AU and NZ bankers!! Bring your passport and letter to prove your ID, and they'll give you your cards. And that's all there is to it! Not as difficult as what I thought it would be.