Skip Navigation

Chinese Visa requirements. HELP!!

Travel Forums Asia Chinese Visa requirements. HELP!!

Last Post This thread is marked as being about China
1. Posted by luci.thirkill (Budding Member 29 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

we are hoping to go 1st october next year, flights for that date went on sale yesterday so we are wanting to get them as soon as possible but have seen some of the requirements for visas which have confused us a little. we will be flying into beijing and spending up to 2 months there doing shanghai, hong kong etc and finally ending up in kuming where we will get the bus that crosses from there to laos. we've looked into the bus trip and that crosses over at mohan/boten boarder. so that means we wont know where we will be on exact dates as we will being doing it all by foot/bus/train and will just be staying in hostels on the way. looking at the requirements it says you need to have hotel confirmation for your stay and exit tickets for leaving china?? not sure how we will prove this as we are unsure where we will be because we will just be staying where we end up each day?? also will the bus ticket leaving china into laos be acceptable for the ticket leaving china?? HELP!

2. Posted by Aussi Di (Budding Member 10 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Certainly your plans are complicated. You need to contact the Chinese Embassy in your country and seek their advice. Perhaps your bus ticket confirmation to Laos will be accepted.

3. Posted by madpoet (Respected Member 415 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

I'm not sure about the return flight requirement- check with the embassy. But for the hotel, just get confirmation at a Beijing hotel, for the first few days- that should be sufficient. As you travel around China, the hotels will register for you, at no charge.

Be aware that Hong Kong has different passport controls from the rest of China. So if you go to Hong Kong on a single entry visa you won't be allowed to return to China. You'll need a multiple entry visa.

Post 4 was removed by a moderator
5. Posted by luci.thirkill (Budding Member 29 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Thanks for your replies

booked our flights today

6. Posted by kinglong (Inactive 2 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

All visitors traveling to mainland China whether for business or pleasure, require a visa. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the duration of your intended stay. Visas are issued through Chinese embassies and consulates overseas. It's very difficult to obtain a China visa at the Chinese border entry points.
Single-Entry Visa
Single-entry China visas are usually valid for 3 months after the issue date, and will permit you to stay in China for a maximum of 30 days. This visa will allow you to travel as a tourist or conduct general business activities. Most people need only to apply for a single-entry.
Double-Entry Visa
If you need to leave and re-enter mainland China, you need to apply for double-entry visa. Please keep in mind that, when you leave from Mainland China for Hong Kong and Macau, you will need to have a double-entry visa if you want to re-enter Mainland China.
Hong Kong & Macau
Residents of most countries can enter Hong Kong without applying for a visa in advance and are allowed to stay for 90 days. A visa will be issued upon arrival.
Residents of 65 countries, including the United States, Japan and European countries, can enter Macau without applying for a visa in advance. A visa will be issued at the border control, and it allows a stay of 30 days.
Travelers who leave Mainland China for Hong Kong and Macau will need to apply for a new visa or double-entry visa, if they wish to re-enter Mainland China.
Visas are not required for transit passengers who hold tickets and have booked seats on international airliners flying on route to a third country no more than 24 hours in advance.
Please check with the Chinese embassy in your country of residence for the most up-to-date information.

7. Posted by Dovjoans (Inactive 3 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

If you have 8 weeks in China and do not know where to go, why not travel to Tibet. Tibet is the roof of the world and the most beautiful place in China which has unique culture and traditions. I did Tibet Tour last year. It's amazing and I believe that you will never forget the tour to Tibet. There is saying -snip-, your body in hell and your eyes in heaven.

[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]

8. Posted by Panoukla (First Time Poster 1 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Bump! How did it go, could you get a visa with the on-way ticket and adding info/booking on a bus to leave to laos? Im playing to do to same, want to know if I can or I need to by plane tickets.