Skip Navigation

general talk

Travel Forums North America general talk

1. Posted by menome (Budding Member 3 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

I'm buying a car in there anyone ou there who would know how much would it cost me to cross the boarder.

2. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3579 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

I think you mean 'border'. A 'boarder' is a lodger, basically a renter that is also supplied with meals. I hope you are not planning on driving over some poor schmo just because he gets meals with his room!

I have driven into Canada and Mexico from the US. There is no money involved when you cross either border. US auto insurance is not valid in Mexico. Most US policies will cover you and your vehicle while you are in Canada. Good luck with your planning.

3. Posted by L1NZ (Budding Member 10 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

If you're importing the car into Canada make sure that the car has no RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) exemptions. Before reaching the border, it's helpful to achieve a recall clearance letter to avoid delays/extra costs. You'll have to clear the vehicle with US customs first and then with Canadian customs, as well as pay duties. You'll have to pay a RIV registration fee and the vehicle will need to be inspected at a certified shop in town. To register the vehicle you'll need to have a bill of sale, title, proof of insurance and your stamped vehicle import form that you will have filled out at the border. This all sounds much more compliacted than it really is. Anyway, hope this helps! =) Good luck with the new car!