Skip Navigation

Want to emigrate

Travel Forums General Talk Want to emigrate

1. Posted by Wantoutofhere (Budding Member 2 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Hi, I really want to leave home and go to maybe America or Australia. What would I need to just get up and go, how much money etc. all help is appreciated.

2. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Your question is impossible to address when you give no clue about your nationality - let along age, education, work experience, etc.

Google is your friend.

1.) USA

2.) Australia

Have fun with your research and good luck.


3. Posted by Wantoutofhere (Budding Member 2 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Thanks terry, I'm from n.ireland, 22, have a national diploma in construction I've done work in construction, warehousing, retailing, customer service. I guess what I'm really asking is if I wanted to leave by the end of the week does it take much planning, could I just land over and find a job handy enough, how much would it cost me to get set up roughly. Do I need a sponsor to get a work visa?

4. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Leave by the end of the week to immigrate to a new country? No... it's a tiny bit more complicated than that.

Read the links I gave you.


5. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5164 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

Instead of full-on emigrating, what you could do - if you had a minimum of €4000 to your name - is head to Australia for a year on a working holiday visa, to see if you actually like it there. If you do, and find some work where they actually appreciate you, you could be sponsored by them to get a long term visa (or you could do 3 months of regional work to stay a second year, and maybe also do a year long WHV in nearby New Zealand).

A working holiday visa is generally approved within a day; a week at most, and construction experience is quite in demand in Australia.

Post 6 was removed by a moderator
7. Posted by polyglot25 (Budding Member 42 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!


Good advice from poster number 5. I am heading to Australia in 2 months' time - to live and work permanently - on a "skilled migration visa". To give you an idea this has taken us AU$5,000 and over one year to obtain, with a huge amount of paperwork involved. You also have to tick a lot of boxes to get the visa: age, education, skills in demand etc.

So to go in the short term, a working holiday visa is the way to go. Australia is pretty strict when it comes to immigration (to say the least!) and there is almost zero chance of finding paid work on anything other than a proper work visa.

The Department of Immigration website has oodles of information to help you find which visa is best for you.

All the best


8. Posted by Degolasse (Travel Guru 823 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

I agree with Sander - a working holiday visa is the way to go. It'll get you there for a year anyway, and it'll give you time to decide if you like australia, and work out how you can get longer immigration if you do.
My Working Holiday Visa took me a few hours to get approved (online app). I filled it out before going to bed, and when I woke up in the morning it was approved. So as long as you have the money and no commitments at home, there is no reason that you can't be in Australia by the end of the week. Actually, if you really aren't tied down at all, and can pack up in a hurry, you could be on a plane tomorrow.
Other than that it doesn't have to take much planning - get a guidebook and decide where you want to go when you arrive. You might want to think about how your are going to get around. Australia is HUGE, and in the long run you could save money and have more freedom by buying a car. But if you are short on funds, you'll want to have a better idea as to where you are going so that you can find the cheapest transport possible. Or you can just stick to your arrival city for a few months (probably Sydney) and work, and figure out if and when you want to move on to other parts of the country.