Skip Navigation

Can I marry a German girl on Visitor's visa?

Travel Forums General Talk Can I marry a German girl on Visitor's visa?

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post This thread is marked as being about Germany
1. Posted by glamourguy (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Hi All

Its very important for me, so I am hoping you all guys will put some lines down there to help me.

I fall in love with a german girl, we know each other from 3 years atleast. I am middle class working guy, and she is also with same status. Now we really want to get married, but as I am Pakistani so its hard for me to get these visa things done easily, and also Money is big issue for me too.

so my question is, If i apply for a "Visitor's Visa" to Germany, will I be allowed to marry her? and How much Money I should need to show in Bank Statement to the Embassy? (German Embassy in Pakistan).

Is Visitor's visa is easier to get or Fiance Visa? Does for Fiance Visa, my girlfriend need to show her bank statement as in US its required. If so, then how much she should have in her Bank Account? and Also one more thing, Is it required that we meet in personal to be eligible for Fiance Visa thing?

I am waiting for your replies.

2. Posted by Buttfish (Respected Member 298 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!


I just finished going through a bunch of paperwork. My fiance is German, I'm Canadian. I've lived in Germany for a while already, but that shouldn't affect you coming here. For Canadians, we don't need a visa for Germany for the first 3 months...only after. So whichever tourist visa you need to enter the country, I guess.

Regarding the paperwork, there's a whole lot of things, from your and her sides. From the German side, I know my boyfriend needed a sheet that said where he lives (I had to get one too, here, but it's not hard to get, you can do it online..if you're German), Germans need their birth certificate and a copy of their page from the book of birth records, passport, what else..I think that's that.

As a foreigner, I needed both birth certificates, but I was born in Serbia, and they only have one, so I had to bring that (an international one, or a translated one, and it can't be older than 6 months). I also needed to bring my passport, a sheet from the Canadian government (in my case, the Canadian Consulate in Munich), that says and confirms that I wasn't married before. I also needed a sheet saying where I lived, and in my case, I needed my citizenship information, since my family immigrated to Canada many years ago. Then we had to go to their city hall in person, fill out a form, meet with a chick that looked everything over, asked that we pay, did some magic, and then gave us a sheet that said we were allowed to get married, before confirming we weren't married to anyone else, or in any gay/lesbian marriage, either.

I think the fee was about 80 euros to get this marriage allowance. As for the wedding itself, that also costs at the city hall..but I don't know how much. We're getting married in Austria, and there it cost 150 euros. So it may be vaugely similar, or at least that kind of an idea for a price range. You also need to book in advance, I think, to marry in Germany, because (from what I hear), there are many people and sometimes schedules are tight.

As for how much money you should have in your bank statement..all I remember from when I came here, is that you have to have something like 400 euros (or something, I forget the sum, sorry) per month, so that you can hold yourself up while you're in Germany, unless you have a job (then you have to show your pay slips). So for example, if you stayed three months, you should have about 1200 euros..etc, etc. It's all written somewhere in their little visa section, I think, but I can't remember where, it's been ages since I had to check that out.

I don't think she needs to show her bank statement, though, but again, it's all written online, I'm sure she can find that easily enough. I don't know how you apply for visas in Pakistan, so I can't tell you if it has to be personal or not. But you should make sure to have all the documents you need from Pakistan. It all gets complicated when it's done from overseas.

Ok, that's all I know. Good luck!

3. Posted by Buttfish (Respected Member 298 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Oh, and one more thing. In case you want to by chance have a church wedding, too, I heard that you can only do that if you pay church tax (which some Germans do, some don't). If you don't pay this tax, you can't marry in a church. But I don't know anything else about this stuff, or if it also counts for other religions, too..though I don't think it does. We won't be having any kind of religious wedding for ours, so I really know.

4. Posted by glamourguy (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

oh Thanks a lot Buttfish for your really detailed Reply :)
So you think i should just go on Visitor's visa to Germany and get married, will they then extend my Temporary visit visa into residency permit or I have to come back to Pakistan and then Apply for Fiance visa?

I am happy to know about Bank Statement thing :) The amount (it may be little higher but still affordable) is really comforting me now.

5. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

The rules for Canadians are different. You need to talk directly to the German Embassy in Islamabad and/or the Consulate General in Karachi.

Good luck.


6. Posted by ykas25 (Budding Member 19 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Hi Kabir,

You can come on a visitor's visa, but its NOT possible to get married in Germany till the time German authorities are convinced that You are unmarried in your home country. And it will be very difficult to convice.Its only afte they are convinced that they allot a date for the marriage at the local registration office Standesamt.

Moreover Visitor visa is fixed for max. 3 months cannot be extended or changed to any residence permit. You will have to return to Your home country and re-apply for the other valid visa.

Suggestions :

  • Live in Partnership : Your girlfriend has to take an initiative and visit the German Ausländerbehörde in her city and state that she wants to stay with You and is willing to sponsor your stay here in Germany and send You a sponsorship for a long term visa. For this sponsorship she has to show her salary details that she can support herself and Yourself. That visa can take upto 6 months and you get in initially for three months and later extended locally. After your visa is extended a couple of years or can go and get married in Denmark. Its much easier there than in Germany. Then get the visa status changed to spouse visa.
  • Marriage : You can get married in Pakistan and register the marriage in the court and apply for a visitor visa for 3 months to Germany. In Germany You and her can do the same process as mentioned above and use this visit to enroll in a German language school and get the certificates of language skills. After Your visitor visa expires, You will return to Your home country and apply for a Family Reunion visa and submit the sponsorship, all the required documents along with certificates of Language skills. The processing can take upto six months.

Hope it helps, Good Luck!!


7. Posted by aamirnazir (Budding Member 3 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

hi Cheers T

i need help

8. Posted by aamirnazir (Budding Member 3 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Please tell me i want to marry with German women in Pakistan she was already have divorced, we have been involve in love, is Pakistan court registered marriage is acceptable in Germany?

I need suggestion please please sir


9. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Have your girlfriend talk to these guys.

Good luck.


10. Posted by aamirnazir (Budding Member 3 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Dear Terry

sorry i do not understand??? no my girlfriend not talk to these guys? about what guys you talk about please


[ Edit: Edited on 27-Jun-2013, at 08:40 by aamirnazir ]