Skip Navigation

I am visiting US for 3 months, medical insurance?

Travel Forums North America I am visiting US for 3 months, medical insurance?

1. Posted by dee1000 (Budding Member 11 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

I am a student, so have to watch my budget.
I travel a lot. They say annual insurance is cheaper...
I want to be covered for minor medical things, dental, as well as emergencies.
I am coming as a tourist, to PA, CA
Maybe I need annual travel insurance and special medical insurance for 3 months in US?
My health is generally good, I just want to be on the safe side.
My money is very limited....
Please kindly advise.

2. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

How can anyone offer advice when you give no clue where you live?


3. Posted by dee1000 (Budding Member 11 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

I am london uk

4. Posted by Dodger (Inactive 873 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

I don't really see why it makes any difference what country you are from, since the US doesn't have a reciprocal medial agreement with any other country.

So yes to be on the safe side you probably should get travel insurance. Unfortunately the US is one of the most expensive countries to be insured for, because of their high medical costs.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Yes annual would be a little cheaper, but only if you are traveling for a year. If you are traveling for 3 months then 3 months worth of coverage is all you need and will be cheaper than buying for a year. You can get travel insurance in a number of different packages, by the day, by number of countries, or in number of weeks, or months.

If you do a few searches on "travel insurance" you'll get plenty of companies to look through what they offer. I always thought they all offered pretty much the same coverage, but I found this interesting article on New Zealand travel insurance companies. World Nomads for $169 give $5,000,000 medical coverage Vs Southern Cross who for $285 only give $100,000. But Southern Cross gives you $25,000 on your personal baggage Vs Nomads $2,500. I wonder too what sort of medical coverage you'd actually get. So check the small print. Sometimes there is a deductible, that makes it not worth making a claim for say a one off doctor visit of a $100 or so.

I'm not sure you can get anything but major dental emergency coverage with any insurance company. Get your teeth looked at and in good shape before you leave your home country, and they should be good to go for at least 3 months.

I've used two travel insurance companies, Nomads and Columbus Direct. I got a slightly better deal with Columbus, but I've never had to claim with either of them, and that's usually what sets one insurance company above another. I renewed both and both were very prompt with emails and getting a few questions sorted.

5. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Hey Dee,

Since you're from the UK try this website. It's commonly recommended by a bunch of UKers on a Cuban discussion forum ever since the Cuban government made foreign travel insurance "technically" mandatory to enter their country.

I haven't used it personally - I'm not from the UK - but lots of experienced UK travellers like it as a starting point for comparison shopping between quite a few of the top UK insurance providers.

Good luck with your research, insurance is a minefield... read the fine print...


6. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

I just received a PM recommending this UK website as well.

Good luck.


7. Posted by Calcruzer (Travel Guru 2003 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

If you are a student, you should check with the college you are about to attend. Generally, each college in the US offers a special student medical insurance program for their students attending from outside of the US, and even for those from different states than where the college is located.

My son was offered just such a program when he travelled from his home in California to attend a college in the state of Indiana. If you have purchased your own medical insurance plan, and can prove you have done so, they will not charge you for student medical insurance. Otherwise, they generally include it in the charges you pay to the school for tuition (it is one of their fees, which generally also cover things like transportation charges for a school bus, fees to cover things like yearly parking, and fees for school housing and/or meal plans).

All this should be available on your school's website. They should also have counselors available to discuss what your options are, and in what time frame they should be paid, and if financial aid and/or loans are available to cover the tuition and fees.

[ Edit: Edited on 28-Nov-2013, at 23:55 by Calcruzer ]