Skip Navigation

Do we need to assign specific threads according to countries

Travel Forums System Talk Do we need to assign specific threads according to countries

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
11. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5232 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Quoting cikusang

Some even copied the title of the previous thread and pasted it on the new thread - this is irresponsible and intolerable!

No it isn't. The main goal of this forum (at least the regional ones) is to answer questions from people who aren't regular members here. We want to make things as easy for them as possible. 80% of the information they get in return to their questions could undoubtedly be answered without any interaction at all - it's all been said before, and google knows it. But the remaining 20% offers truly unique insights and new tidbits of information; atmosphere and a real personal approach and everything.
Requiring new members to stick to (to them) incomprehensible rules and making them search and waste time catagorizing and selecting the specific forum to post in and all that has only one effect: heightening the barrier of entry. The amount of new members posting would go down. The regular members here would get too caught up with just each other, and they'd really start to feel like everything had already been discussed before, so that whenever a new member would dare post a question, they'd get a snippy "search the forums, this has been said before" answer, rather than a nice and thoughtful reply specific to their own unique situation.
I have seen forums go down that route. It's not a pretty sight.
(Your investment forum is different, because it's mostly geared toward serving a group of people who are long-time members, rather than having a constant influx of new members - it also sounds like it's suffering under its own success.)

Another suggestion is: with some rooms spared for specific regional helpers. Say if UK helpers would respond only for posts dealing with UK ONLY in the 'UK helpers room'

I'm not a helper, but personally I like responding to everything that I feel I can add some useful information to. And a lot of things go beyond the barrier of just a single country. Whenever I talk about the Great Ocean Road in Australia, I compare it to the Pacific Coast Highway in the USA. Not really relevant perhaps, but who knows - it might just give someone, unrelated to the original poster, who's seen one the desire to go and see the other as well.

the message is clear and systematic.<snip> Make it focus and efficient.

I like things wooly and vague and flowing over into other things and wonderfully uncertain. We're dealing with people and travel here - with experiences of a lifetime - not financial information.

12. Posted by cikusang (Respected Member 1361 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Ok, Sender. Your long words convince me. Forums which are made for travellers are within the air of freedom and leisure. (too systematic would make things more rigid and becomes a 'statue' then)

Thanks for your comments. Appreciate that.

Have a better understanding,

13. Posted by newguy (Full Member 197 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Sander, that's some well thought-out points. U certainly sound like someone who knows what u are talking about. I checked your profile( some amazing pictures there), so u are able to travel while making a living at the same time as a travelling web development.

There's a thread in another forum - where people discuss about travelling by way of living. If it's not too demanding of your time, would u like to share with us your success story?

14. Posted by Peter (Admin 6418 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Quoting Sam I Am

I know Pete's pretty focused on not increasing the amount of forums too much though so you'd have to convince him especially

hehe, yeah, I'm quite a fan of keeping broad topic groups, for the sake of simplicity (and to avoid duplication).

Say for example we decided to split Europe into Eastern and Western Europe, as that would be the most obvious and beneficial one at this point. Would a country like Hungary be considered Eastern Europe? A lot of Hungarians feel they are Central Europeans (which in turn would arguably fall under Western Europe). These are similar to the Turkey in the Middle East vs Europe debate. What's obvious to one isn't necessarly obvious to another!

Now, the easiest thing to do and probably the most sensible would be to have a dropdown box available for each of the regions which lets you filter by country. This information has already been gathered, so all the information is already there. It saves the bother of further categorisation, but allows a drill down of information. Unfortunately though, not ALL posts have been categorised this way, so it does won't really be a complete listing. The forum search function will always be the most complete.

  • 1
  • 2